Our friends at Fujifilm are at it again. Just weeks before the biggest photography show in the world and the industry leading mirrorless manufacturer has decided to drop a new camera on us. Today’s announcement of the Fujifilm X30 can only lead us to believe that Fuji has bigger fish to fry at the upcoming Photokina show and this is a mere bone to hold over their fanboys until the announcement of the big guns we’re all expecting.
Regardless, the Fujifilm X30 should not be dismissed as nothing more than the proverbial carrot being dangled before our eyes. Instead we should look at some of it’s new features and assume that these highlights, or something even better, could be included in any additional announcements we’ll see at Photokina. If they have any coming… wink, wink. Most impressive of these new features is the newly-developed Real Time Viewfinder. Touted as the largest, fastest and highest resolving viewfinder in its class, the new EVF features a 0.005 lag time, 0.65 magnification and 2.36M dot OLED.
Next, but neither new or mind blowing, the Fujifilm X30 camera features a large 2/3-inch X-TransTM CMOS II sensor with 12 megapixels but NO optical low pass filter. The standard EXR Processor II image processing engine is in place but there has been a vast improvement to battery duration as Fuji is now promising almost 500 images before a charge is necessary. This is almost twice as many as the previous X20 model.
Further additions include two new control rings: a manual zoom ring and control ring. Positioned behind the manual zoom control ring, the control ring offers immediate change of aperture and shutter speed settings while fine-tuning image composition. Functions such as ISO sensitivity, film simulation, white balance and continuous shooting can be assigned by pushing the control ring setting button at the front. The two top-plate dials and six function buttons positioned on the back of the body also offer faster access to regularly-used features. The Fujifilm X30 also sports a tilting 3.0-inch 920K-dot premium clear LCD monitor giving shooters a full range of viewing options in any environment.
The Fujifilm X30 and all its accessories will be available in later September for $599.95
Stay tuned for a full review to follow soon.
FUJIFILM X30 key features:
- 12MP 2/3” X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- EXR Processor II
- NEW Real Time Viewfinder with 0.005 second lag time, 0.65 magnification and 2.36M dot OLED
- Intelligent Hybrid AF in 0.06 seconds
- Fast start-up time of 0.5 seconds
- Shutter time lag of 0.01 seconds
- High speed continuous shooting of 12fps (11 frames continuously in JPEG at full resolution)
- FUJINON F2.0-2.8 lens 4x manual zoom lens with HT-EBC coating
- NEW Tilting 3.0” Premium Clear LCD (920k dots)
- NEW ‘Classic Chrome’ and other film simulation modes
- NEW Long lasting battery with approximately 470 photos per charge. Charges using supplied micro USB cable
- Pop-up Super Intelligent Flash
- Super Macro mode to .039”
- Focus Peaking function
- Motion Panorama 360
- Advanced Filters
- “Q” button for frequently used menu items
- Multiple Exposure
- Full HD video 1080p at 60fps; bit rate of 36Mbps for clear capture of delicate movements
- Manual focus available during video recording*7
- Free FUJIFILM Camera Remote application and Wireless Communication function allows users to remotely shoot images from smartphones and tablets
- Output for Stereo Microphone
- Electronic level
- Live histogram
- Interval timer shooting (1 second to 24 hours up to 999 frames)
FUJIFILM X30 Accessories:
- Leather case LC-X30 – made of premium genuine leather.
- Lens Hood and Protector Filter LHF-X30 – protective filter with Super EBC multi-layer coating technology. Available in black or silver. The dedicated lens hood features slits to ensure a full angle of view for the viewfinder.
- Shoe Mount Flash – three types of FUJIFILM external flash, capable of high-precision TTL auto flash control: EF-20 and EF-X30 with the guide number 20, and EF-42 with the guide number 42.
- External stereo microphone MIC-ST1 – for recording real sound with impact to go with premium-quality images and Full HD movie.