Photoshelter makes some of the best free PDF guides out there, and their most recent is one dedicated to action and adventure photography. They partnered with Red Bull Illume to give readers an insight into how previous winners of the competition stole the show, and there is even a dedicated chapter on how to impress this year’s judges (if you were thinking of entering).
Six photographers share their insight into being a successful (which means they make money) adventure/action photographer, and each one gives their own specific experience. With all six chapters, you can get an idea of how to carve your own niche:
- Morgan Maassen: The Ultimate Success Story
- Krystle Wright: How To Tell Stories Through Your Adventure Photography
- Clark Fyans: When One Shot Makes All The Difference
- Jody MacDonald: Turning Your Passion Into A Business
- Chris Burkard: Why Mobile Photography & Instagram Are Still Game Changers
- Ulrich Grill: A Look Inside The Brain of Red Bull Illume’s Mastermind
The guide is available for free on Photoshelter. If you’re interested in this kind of photography, this is a really great guide that, while succinct, has a lot of great information.