Lately it seems like there are many wishing to call into question Adobe’s dominance in the photo world, the latest of which is no unfamiliar name to the software juggernaut: Corel. Yup, you heard it right: The company that might have the closest thing to a true Lightroom competitor is the very same program that Adobe slowly squeezed out of the layout/design industry here in the United States over ten years ago. But they didn’t go down, not at all, and have remained quietly strong.
Today they announced the release of AfterShot Pro 3, and this iteration of the software builds on what Corel is touting to be “the industry’s fastest photo editing and organization software.” Version three adds an all-new Highlight Recovery algorithm, comprehensive Watermarking, layer-based Blemish Correction, and dynamic update abilities so new camera RAW profiles can be supported faster than ever.
“From its inception, AfterShot Pro has been built to deliver on three core competencies: outstanding performance, superior productivity, and freedom of choice. It enables photographers to organize thousands, cull from hundreds, and perfect a single photo. AfterShot Pro 3 provides easy access to a variety of plug-ins and add-ons direct from the community. In Corel lab testing, it remains up to 4x faster than Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.5 at batch exporting.”
What’s New in AfterShot Pro 3
- Highlight Recovery Algorithm: With an all-new algorithm under the hood, the enhanced Highlight Recovery Range slider now rescues more detail and tones from overexposed RAW images, delivering superior image quality.
- Comprehensive Watermarking: Protect your photos online and promote your work with advanced watermarking abilities. Apply watermarks to individual photos or batches, plus easily adjust size, rotation angle, position, transparency and more.
- Blemish Removal & Correction: Save time and edit faster by performing more non-destructive, layer-based touchups and corrections directly in AfterShot Pro 3, without exporting your image to a second editor like Photoshop or PaintShop Pro.
- In-App Preset Library: Get access to a library of free and premium photo presets, regularly updated and hand-picked by the Corel Photo Team. Reproduce popular editing looks with the power of our included presets or apply them as a starting point and adjust to create your own. You can also share your creations with the community.
- Lens Correction Development Kit: Get ahead of the curve by making and sharing your own lens corrections—ideal for photographers working with rare or brand-new glass. Simply follow the lens correction instructions, save your profile, then load it into AfterShot Pro 3.
- Dynamic & Modular Camera Profile Updates: AfterShot Pro 3 now has the ability to deliver new and updated RAW profiles faster than ever before. With the modular delivery system, as soon as a new camera profile is created by our development team it’s made available for download directly in-app—no more waiting for the next update to support your new camera.
- Plugin Development & Download Availability: The new in-app Plugin Manager finds and installs plugins in a flash. Extend any workflow with free plugins from the community, discover premium plugins (like the popular GradFilter Pro), and get the latest plugin updates all in one convenient place. Plus, plugin-developers can leverage our unique RAW-level plugin API and toolkit to build pro-quality plugins to tap into the full power of AfterShot’s processing pipeline.
In speaking with Corel, they seem to understand that not everyone likes the subscription software model, so AfterShot Pro 3 is available without one. AfterShot Pro 3 is available now for Windows, Mac OS and Linux in English, German and Japanese. It will set you back a reasonable USD $79.99 for the full version and USD $59.99 for an upgrade from a previous version of AfterShot (£69.99/EUR 89.99 for full, £49.99/EUR 69.99 for an upgrade).
For more information, head over to AfterShotPro.com.