Leica launched its latest addition to the TL-system this week, the Leica TL2. According to Leica, the TL2’s “perfected features and persuasive performance meet nuanced design in this new generation.”
The TL2 is the third in the TL-System; its predecessors are the TL and T. The TL2 is an upgraded version of the TL with an impressive list of improved features including a 24-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, improved autofocus, an electronic shutter and an ISO range up to 50,000. The price of the TL2 will start at $1,950.
The camera sets itself apart from other models with its large 3.7-inch LCD touchscreen display. The screen has a MyCamera menu that strategically groups icons and settings according to related functions. Apart from the touchscreen settings, the camera has only four other controls. The camera itself will be offered in silver and black, and carrying straps will be offered in grey, black, red, yellow and cemento.
There are six lenses that are compatible with the TL2 that cover focal lengths between 17 and 200mm. The camera also has an L-Bayonet mount that allows any TL or SL lens to fit on the camera’s body without an adapter.
“The combination of optical and precision engineering and use of the finest materials in their construction ensures their constant quality and reliability in use,” Leica said in a press release. There are adapters available so that photographers can use lenses within the M or R systems if they choose to.
There’s is also an app for iPhone and Android users that connects to the TL2. It can control settings and act as a viewfinder for the camera.
Here are some additional features of the Leica TL2:
- Maestro II image processor
- Digital APS-C system camera
- Up to 4K video resolution
- APS-C sized CMOS sensor (23.6 x 15.7 mm) with 24.96/24.24 million pixels (total/effective), aspect ratio 3:2
- 32 GB internal memory
- ISO range from ISO 100 to ISO 50,000
- Photo resolution: DNG: 6016 x 4014 Pixels (24 Megapixels), JPEG: optional 6000 x 4000 Pixels (24 Megapixels), or 4272 x 2856 Pixels (12 Megapixels), or 3024 x 2016 Pixels (6 Megapixels)
- Body dimensions are 134 x 69 x 33 mm and weight is approximately 399 g/355 g (with/without battery)
The Leica TL2 is now available in Leica stores, boutiques and selected dealers.